Kinect Drivers were originally released in 2014. Since then, there had been no major updates. Microsoft updated the drivers in November 2016, adding UWP support.
A few days ago, while working with one of our customers, I noticed something really weird: even though the latest Kinect drivers were available since November 2016, some customer laptops could not automatically download them from Windows Update.
As I further researched the problem, I noticed that other developers were facing the same issues. The problematic computers had the following symptoms:
- Kinect was properly recognized by the computer.
- Kinect Configuration Verifier indicated a steady 30 fps rate.
- When running any of Microsoft’s Kinect Samples, there was no Body or BodyIndex stream! Color, Depth, and Infrared streams worked just fine, but Kinect could not recognize any skeletons.
- The installed Kinect driver was dated to 2014 (check Driver Date in the Device Manager)!
- Windows Update would not update the driver automatically.
Turned out the solution is quite simple. If you are facing the same problem, you need to download the driver manually. For your convenience, LightBuzz has uploaded the newest drivers (November 2016) in the following location.
The driver package is hosted by LightBuzz Inc.
This is how to install:
1. Unzip the file Kinect_Drivers_November_2016.zip.
2. Open the Kinect_Drivers_November_2016 folder.
3. Plug-in your Kinect sensor device.
4. Launch Device Manager (Start menu or Control Panel).
5. Find “Kinect Sensor Devices” and expand.
6. Right-click “WDF Kinect Sensor Interface 0”.
7. Select “Update Driver Software”.
8. Click “Browse my computer for driver software”.
9. Select the folder you unzipped in step #2 (leave the “Include subfolders” option checked).
10. Click “Next” and reboot your computer when finished.
This is an unofficial solution for people that cannot get the latest driver automatically. Please use at your own risk.
This is it fellas. Let me know if that solution worked for you!
‘Til the next time, keep Kinecting!